Crispy Fries with Bacon and Blue Cheese Sauce
Makes 2 large servings
* 12 oz. frozen french fries (I recommend the *Ore-Ida Extra Crispy Fast Food Fries
,*12 ounces would be about half of the bag, as it is on the small size as far as bags of frozen fries go.)
* 1/3 pkg of bacon, cut into small pieces and cooked (about 4 strips, less if you prefer)
* (Optional: Reserve about 1 tsp. of bacon grease for cooking with the garlic, shallots and butter)
* 1/4 cup shallot, finely diced
* 2 cloves garlic, diced
* 1 tbsp unsalted butter
* 1 cup of blue cheese, crumbled
* 1/2 cup of milk
* 1 tsp cracked black pepper
* Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven and bake the french fries as directed on the package for extra crispy french fries. While they are baking, cook the bacon pieces. Drain bacon on paper towels and pour grease out of saute pan. If desired you can leave a very thin layer of bacon grease in the pan to cook with the shallots, garlic and butter, about 1 tsp. worth of bacon grease.
2. Add the shallots, garlic and butter to the pan and cook over medium heat about 4 minutes, watching carefully so that it doesn’t burn. You can cook it for longer if you would like the onions to caramelize slightly, which is what I did. Just be careful that the burner isn’t too hot or it may burn your shallots and garlic.
3. Add the blue cheese, milk and pepper. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently, until sauce begins to thicken. For me this took about 5-8 minutes for it to thicken up.
4. Pour thickened blue cheese sauce over hot french fries and top with crumbled bacon.